New Mexico at the Tail End Again. Does Sanders Beat Trump? Are White Working Class Men Morally Deficient?
- New Mexico Worst State in Nation in Long-term Unemployment: Governing
- Latest Poll Results: Clinton, Sanders Matchups vs. Trump, Cruz, Kasich: 270 to Win
- The Impact of Immigration on American Workers: Steve Camarota, Center for Immigration Policy
- Who Will Speak for the American White Working Class? Chris Arnade, the Guardian
- Five Facts About Illegal Immigrants in the US: Krogstad and Passell, Pew Research Center
Kasich Beats Clinton and Sanders in latest polls: Most recent polls show both Clinton and Sanders beating Trump (and Cruz) handily in the general election. But Kasich appears to be well ahead of Clinton in recent polls (beating her by 6 points in a March 24 poll, and competitive with Sanders, beating him by 1 point in two polls, but losing to Sanders in a March 21 CNN poll by 6 points. Expect a lot of media attention to be focused on Kasich, whose campaign at this point appears to be based on these polls and on his modest "aw, shucks" demeanor in contrast to the bombastic self-assurance of Cruz and the gleefully delivered insults that form the core of Trump's campaign.
Kick the White Working Class that Supports Trump: A National Review article by Kevin Williamson, ("Father-Fuhrer"--you can read it here for 25 cents) essentially telling the angry white working class to quit whining, rent a U-Haul, and go to a city with jobs, kicked up quite a storm. In reply, the Arnade article (click here) sympathizes with them, arguing their plight is not the result of any moral failure on their part, but of multiple layers of government policies.
Does legal and illegal immigration hurt American workers?: One out of twenty workers is unauthorized. The Camarota and Krogstad and Passell articles are excellent summaries based on solid research. Camarota has been looking at the evidence for many years, and relies on George Borjas' work at Harvard. David Card at Berkeley (click here) has a different perspective